Gourmet Picnic: Chicken Pesto Sandwich

The theme for this month’s 5 Star Makeover is Gourmet Picnic. As a part of the 5 Star Cooking Group, I was excited to transform a personal favorite: chicken pesto sandwich!

Chicken Pesto Sandwich

With memorial weekend right around the corner, it is the perfect time for picnics, good food and good company. I made a chicken pesto sandwich with chicken pudding, pesto juice, tomato powder, paprika pecorino frico, topped with a poppyseeed bread crisp. The chicken pudding was made using agar agar and rich chicken stock. The paprika pecorino frico introduces some spice to the sandwich, and the whole wheat poppyseed bread crisp is light and surprisingly flavorful.

Grinding Dehydrated Tomatoes

I dehydrated sliced tomatoes before grinding them into powder. Once the tomatoes were dehydrated, the flavors became extremely concentrated. A pinch was enough to add a layer of tomato flavors.

Chicken Pudding, Pesto Juice, Tomato Powder, Paprika Pecorino Frico
topped with Whole Wheat Poppyseed Bread Crisp

Thank you Natasha of 5 Star Foodie and Lazaro of Lazaro Cooks! for hosting this month’s makeover and introducing such fun and creativity to cooking.

17 comments for “Gourmet Picnic: Chicken Pesto Sandwich

1. 5 Star Foodie
    May 26, 2011 at 1:54 pm

What a fabulous deconstruction of a chicken pesto sandwich! Very creative, I love all the components here, sounds absolutely incredible! Truly 5 star!

2. Lazaro Cooks!
    May 26, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Smart, creative, fun and perfectly executed. A fantastic dish indeed.

May 26, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Love this beautiful reinterpretation of the chicken sandwich! I really love that paprika pecorino frico…sounds like it added some great flavor!

4. Leela
    May 26, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Wow this looks and sounds delicious! What is the 5 Star Cooking group?

5. Jessica
    May 26, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Hi Leela! It's a cooking group started by 5 Star Foodie and Lazaro Cooks. Tomorrow they will do a roundup of all the participants' entries on the "Gourmet Picnic" theme. It's been a lot of fun =D

Love your blog and all the places you've been to. Adding it to my daily feed!

May 27, 2011 at 1:49 pm

i love how your dehydrated those tomatoes – i really need to get one. which one do you own?!

7. Jessica
    May 27, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Hey Junia! I actually used my small oven! It works perfectly. Just put slices of anything on a rack with a tray under to catch juices, then turn it to 150F for 8 hours or so with door partially open. I've done it to fruits too.

8. Peggy
    May 28, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Wow! This is so impressive – great makeover =)

9. angela@spinachtiger
    May 29, 2011 at 12:21 pm

This is almost over my head as an idea. Great job.

10. Trix
    May 30, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Wow! Chicken pudding is an inspired thing! I want.

11. Bren
    May 30, 2011 at 5:12 pm

love it. great approach to recreating the dish!

May 31, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Chicken pudding? *faint* The refined detail and presentation in this remade dish is incredible. I could imagine the intensity of the dehydrated tomatoes and the crisp looks like a delicious play on the customary bread; also reminds me of a similar appetizer from the tasting menu at Benu.

13. Priscilla - ShesCookin
    May 31, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Wow, very inventive makeover! Never dehydrated tomatoes either, I'm totally intrigued and would love to try this.

14. lostpastremembered
    June 4, 2011 at 12:07 pm

This was really a cutting edge dish… I am incredibly curious about that chicken pudding.. what a luxurious idea and a smashing presentation. So wonderfully creative.

15. Lori Lynn
    June 4, 2011 at 3:32 pm

You really know how to take "makeover" to another level. This is fantastic!
    LL

16. Daily Spud
    June 5, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Wow, I'm intrigued particularly by the tomato powder – I will have to give that a go for sure!

17. Tanantha
    June 8, 2011 at 8:43 pm

How did I miss this from the challenge!? very creative dish and love the idea of deconstruction of chicken pesto sandwich!