The Silver Palate Cookbook is famous for its exotic Chicken Marbella, marinated first overnight in prunes, capers, olives, garlic, oil, and herbs, then baked with sprinkled brown sugar and some white wine. I am not a huge fan of capers, so I adapted the recipe and concentrated on bringing out the flavors of olives and garlic. This easily prepared dish will make any night memorable – it is so good.
I prepared a Bread Salad with Tomato and Arugula (recipe can be found here on LA Times) that went perfectly with the light and tender chicken.
Chicken Marbella (a variation)
- Chicken Picnic Pack (~5lb bone-in, skin-on chicken legs and thighs)
- 1/2 head of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 8 large garlic stuffed green olives, cut in half, with 2 Tbsp of juice
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 2 Tbsp of Italian parsley, chopped
- In a large shallow baking dish, combine chicken pieces with oil, vinegar, olives and juice, garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper. Cover and marinate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spoon marinade over chicken pieces and sprinkle evenly with brown sugar. Pour white wine around chicken pieces.
- Bake for 1 hour. With a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and olives to a plate and spoon pan juices over the chicken. Sprinkle some parsley on top and serve.