Hi, I’m a Butter-Braised Fig!

I find figs irresistible, mainly because of the combination of their natural sweetness and chewy texture. Not only that, aren’t figs just so cute?! Also, they are one of the highest plant sources of calcium and fiber. What’s not to like? This is my new favorite way of enjoying figs. I hope you like them as much as I do.

Butter Braised Figs, Cheese, Nuts with Balsamic Syrup

Butter Braised Figs, Cheese, Nuts
Adapted from Jennifer Jeffrey

• 10 green ripe figs
  • 2 tbsp of butter
  • 2 tbsp of finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tbsp of toasted pine nuts

1. Melt butter over medium-low heat in a small nonstick pan. Rinse figs and pat dry. Cut off the sharp tips of figs and make a cross-shaped cut halfway deep into the figs like the photo above.
  2. Place figs in pan with melted butter and let it sit for 3 minutes, until the bottoms of the figs begin to soften. Toast nuts until lightly browned.
  3. Remove figs and set them on a plate or cheese board.
  4. Add balsamic vinegar to pan. Turn the heat up to medium-high and let it reduce by half.
  5. Slightly push open the tops to expose the insides of the figs. Sprinkled grated cheese into each. Drizzle with balsamic reduction and sprinkle toasted pine nuts over the top. Serve warm as appetizer or dessert.

22 comments for “Hi, I’m a Butter-Braised Fig!

August 15, 2011 at 10:34 pm

you must have read my mind because i've been dreaming about cutting figs like that and stuffing it with almond butter and chopped pistachios and drizzling it with maple syrup 😀

2. Leela
    August 15, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I love everything about your blog. The photos, the recipes, the fact that the word "Bacon" is in your title! LOVE LOVE LOVE. And we're both Gjelina fans;)

3. Reem
    August 16, 2011 at 1:00 am

God these figs look divine………. Beautiful picture.

4. Nami | Just One Cookbook
    August 16, 2011 at 5:18 am

It's only recent that I realized that figs and cheese are a wonderful match. Now looking at this my mouth water… wow this looks lovely and delicious! Great for parties!!

5. kankana
    August 16, 2011 at 6:42 am

I some gorgeous green figs the other day in the market and was wondering what can I try with that. This looks so perfect!

6. Anncoo
    August 16, 2011 at 7:17 am

Never tried figs with cheese before but this definitely looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing 🙂

7. wok with ray
    August 16, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Sweetness of figs and a bit sharp/buttery flavor of this cheese is a perfectly blended contrast. Shhh, Jessica… your figs photo is so much more yummy looking than the original. 🙂

~ ray ~

8. Roxana GreenGirl
    August 16, 2011 at 7:25 pm

my heart stay still. I love fresh figs! and they pair so deliciously with cheese

9. Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com
    August 16, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Figs remind us of Italy when we would picnic on fresh bread figs and cheese. This is a wonderful preparation, sweet and savory. Yum!

10. Tanantha
    August 16, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I agree figs are adorable and perfect for finger food! I'm into figs not so long ago and I'm loving them so far. The pine nuts add a nutty flavor contrasting to sweet taste!

11. Lazaro Cooks
    August 16, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Love that you let the figs shine here. This looked awesome on Kitchen Artistry.

Bravo!

12. PFx
    August 17, 2011 at 12:56 am

Wonderful treat Jess!
    Oh I didn't know you're from Taiwan… Where should I go? I've got 24 hours left?! Hahaha. Any secret you could share?

13. tigerfish
    August 17, 2011 at 1:03 am

I usually pair black figs with brie cheese….love it!

14. 5 Star Foodie
    August 17, 2011 at 1:42 am

Butter braised figs sound just lovely, just perfect served with cheese & nuts.

15. Peggy
    August 18, 2011 at 12:27 am

This sounds like the perfect way to enjoy a fresh fig! Love the sweet and savory notes in this =)

16. Lizzy
    August 18, 2011 at 11:29 am

Mmmmmmm….these look irresistible! Fig Newtons were the only grocery store cookie my mom would purchase, so I became a quick fan of the fig…although, my palate has matured a bit!

17. Tes
    August 19, 2011 at 5:06 pm

What an interesting recipe! What a lovely color of fresh figs 🙂

18. lisa is cooking
    August 19, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Sounds like a fantastic mix of flavors! Figs have so much to offer with great looks, nutrition, and flavor.

19. something_good
    August 20, 2011 at 7:42 am

Excellent! And those roasted pine nuts …. mmmm, mouthwatering

August 22, 2011 at 5:32 am

These figs look incredibly savory! Love the sweet and salty elements in this dish.

August 22, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Figs are a favorite of mine too and I can imagine that butter braising only makes them even more amazing! The pine nuts are a lovely addition too.

22. Stephanie
    August 24, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Figs hold a special place in my heart simply because I used to eat them straight off the tree when I was younger. I still remember how juicy they were and what a joy it was to eat them as they were, outside on the ranch. 🙂 Butter-braised, though? *swoon*