Tacos with Greens and Seared Onions is a dish by Chef Rick Bayless of Frontera Grill, Chicago. This tastes so familiar, almost like a childhood meal, yet so different at the same time. It’s clean and flavorful.
I served grilled fajitas with bell peppers on the side as another taco filling option. Such a fun meal for the weekend!
Tacos with Greens and Seared Onions
- 8 to 10 corn tortillas
- coarse salt
- 9 cups loosly packed, stemmed lamb’s quarters (or 6 cups of chard leaves sliced 1/2 inch thick)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 lb of shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup Chipotle Tomatillo Verde Salsa* for serving (see below)
- fresh cilantro sprigs
- Wrap tortillas in a kitchen towel and put it in a steamer (with boiling water). Cover and steam for 1 minute. Turn off heat and let stand for about 15 minutes.
- Bring salted water to a boil in a large pot and add the greens to cook until barely tender (1-2 minutes for lambs’ quarters and 1-2 minutes longer for chard). Drain and cool. Roughly chop and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Add onions and cook for another 5 minutes. Add garlic and fry for 1 minute. Add chopped greens, broth, and salt to taste. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve warm tacos with cooked greens, cheese, salsa, and cilantro (and a side of fajitas if you prefer).