Salmon En Papillote, with Basil Butter

Grilling and searing are, of course, great ways to serve salmon. But I also love poaching and steaming fish to retain all the flavorful natural juices. Wrapping them in foil (paper is used traditionally, but foil works very well) along with aromatic ingredients bring out the best in the tender fish. It’s a must if you haven’t tried this yet.

Salmon En Papillote with Basil Butter

Salmon En Papillote
Serves 4
Salmon

• 4 salmon fillets
  • 1/4lb basil butter (recipe follows)
  • 8 tomato slices
  • 4 lemon slices
  • 4 bay leaves
  • salt, pepper, and paprika
Basil Butter
  • 15 basil leaves
  • 3 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4lb unsalted butter
  • few drops of lemon juice
  • salt and white pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 325F.
  2. To make basil butter, blend basil and garlic in a food processor. Add remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste. Blend until well combined.
  3. Place each salmon fillet on 2 layers of aluminum foil. Place a spoonful of basil butter on each fillet and top each with a slice of tomato. Add a lemon slice and a bay leaf each. Season and seal foil tightly.
  4. Place foil packages in oven. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
  5. Be careful of steam and juice when you open up the foil. The best way is to place those on plates and use forks to open them up slowly. Serve immediately.

9 comments for “Salmon En Papillote, with Basil Butter

October 9, 2011 at 6:17 pm

basil butter! wow, you never cease to surprise me! gourmet jessica! i make salmon a lot for my dad. he would love this recipe!

2. Linda Harding
    October 10, 2011 at 7:12 am

Oh me oh my, that basil butter sounds seriously yummy. Love cooking fish in foil, it really does intensify the flavours and tenderness! Delicious!

3. kankana
    October 10, 2011 at 6:21 pm

basil butter.. so yum! That fish is making me crave for some as I am cooking lunch right now. Wish had some salmon at home.

4. Sarah at Buttered-Up
    October 10, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Love the ingredients. I can almost smell it all come together. Thanks for sharing!

5. Nami | Just One Cookbook
    October 11, 2011 at 6:51 am

I've never tried the combination of salmon (my favorite fish) and basil (butter!! yum!). Looks very easy and delicious and this will be on our table soon. 😉

6. Blue Waffle Diseases
    October 12, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Hi Thanks A lot about Your Articles … very Nice
    Samo Health Blog
    4BusinessMe

7. lisa is cooking
    October 12, 2011 at 8:06 pm

This is fantastic way to cook fish! The basil butter sounds delicious with the salmon too.

8. Roxana GreenGirl
    October 13, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Basil Butter, oh my goodness, that sounds incredibly good and the fish looks amazing Jessica!

October 16, 2011 at 7:44 pm

This looks amazing…we eat salmon once or twice a week so I'm literally always trying to find new ways to make it. This would be a huge hit in my house!