“I hate cauliflower.” is what my husband says to me whenever we walk past the cauliflower/purple cauliflower section of the produce aisle. I never really understood why. Nothing stands out in a cauliflower; plain flavor and a broccoli-like texture.
Last night, after finishing the first plate…
J: “Do you have more cauliflower?”
a long pause.
Me (in shock): “Did you just ask for more cauliflower???”
Roasted cauliflower produces a different texture. Airy and crispy. When paired with this wonderfully addicting spiced Indian Barbecue Sauce, it’s indescribable.
Roasted Cauliflower with Indian Barbecue Sauce
Adapted from Epicurious
- 2lb-head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 tbsp of chili powder
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F. Toast chili powder in a small skillet over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Toss cauliflower with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Transfer to medium rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.
- Heat remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add ginger and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes. Add ketchup, soy sauce, sugar and toasted chili powder. Bring to a boil, whisking to incorporate. Reduce heat to low, simmer barbecue sauce for 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Remove cauliflower from oven and transfer to a large bowl. Serve sauce in a small dipping bowl alongside cauliflower.
**You will likely have quite a bit of sauce left over. Use it in a sandwich or wrap or serve it with more roasted vegetables or pita bread.