Dip for Fall: Indian Barbecue Sauce

“I hate cauliflower.” is what my husband says to me whenever we walk past the cauliflower/purple cauliflower section of the produce aisle. I never really understood why. Nothing stands out in a cauliflower; plain flavor and a broccoli-like texture.

Last night, after finishing the first plate…

J: “Do you have more cauliflower?”
Me: “Nope.”
a long pause.
Me (in shock): “Did you just ask for more cauliflower???”

Roasted Cauliflower with Indian BBQ Sauce

Roasted cauliflower produces a different texture. Airy and crispy. When paired with this wonderfully addicting spiced Indian Barbecue Sauce, it’s indescribable.

Delicious BBQ Sauce

Roasted Cauliflower with Indian Barbecue Sauce
Adapted from Epicurious

• 2lb-head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
  • 1 tbsp of chili powder
  • 4 tbsp of olive oil
  • 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp sugar

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Toast chili powder in a small skillet over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
  2. Toss cauliflower with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Transfer to medium rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.
  3. Heat remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add ginger and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes. Add ketchup, soy sauce, sugar and toasted chili powder. Bring to a boil, whisking to incorporate. Reduce heat to low, simmer barbecue sauce for 1 minute, whisking constantly.
  4. Remove cauliflower from oven and transfer to a large bowl. Serve sauce in a small dipping bowl alongside cauliflower.

**You will likely have quite a bit of sauce left over. Use it in a sandwich or wrap or serve it with more roasted vegetables or pita bread.

7 comments for “Dip for Fall: Indian Barbecue Sauce

October 16, 2011 at 2:59 am

i LOVE cauliflower, especially roasted or steamed!!! i am not a fan when it is raw. your hubby is hilarious hahahaha. love the BBQ dipping sauce!

2. Linda Harding
    October 16, 2011 at 8:53 am

Oh goodness, this sounds so yummy! Definitely trying this one!

October 16, 2011 at 7:42 pm

You are so right about roasting cauliflower — definitely my favorite way to eat it! I bet it was incredible with that flavorful sauce!

4. Sarah at Buttered-Up
    October 17, 2011 at 3:00 am

I'd love to try this out. My husband is the same and I cannot seem to convince him to eat it. In the four years we've been married, I've never been able to feed it to him. He finds the smell of cauliflower offensive (??!!!). After your success story, I'm definitely going to force it upon him one of these days using your method. Haha. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

5. Nami | Just One Cookbook
    October 18, 2011 at 2:19 am

LOL! You must have been shocked and at the same time happy hearing your husband saying "more cauliflower"! I LOVE cauliflower (could be more than broccoli) and this BBQ sauce sounds so interesting with the roasted cauliflower! This will be one of my to-make list for sure!

October 28, 2011 at 6:52 am

I love the subtle taste of cauliflower and of course, bbq sauce, so this looks like the perfect combo to me!

7. Sabrina
    November 2, 2011 at 3:13 am

I agree. Roast cauliflower should be the only form of cauliflower! Sauce looks yum