Deli @ Home: Reuben

I love sandwiches. My hubby doesn’t. The compromise? Reuben sandwich. A reuben is so much more than just a sandwich, especially this one. The Russian dressing spread, good swiss cheese, and freshly sliced corned beef brisket makes this reuben one of the best ones you will ever taste.

Reuben Sandwich

Reuben Sandwich
From Simply Recipes
Serves 2
Sandwich

• 1 tbsp of butter, softened
  • 4 slices of rye bread
  • 4 slices of Swiss cheese
  • 1/2lb corned beef brisket, thinly sliced (get this fresh, from your local butcher or deli counter)
  • 1/4lb sauerkraut
  • 1/4 cup Russian Dressing

Russian Dressing

• 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 1/2 tbsp ketchup
  • 1 1/2 tsp horseradish
  • 1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
  • Salt and black pepper, to taste

1. Butter one side of two slices of bread, and place the buttered-side down on a large piece of wax paper on a flat surface. Top each with a slice of Swiss cheese, and then divide half of the corned beef among them.
  2. Squeeze out as much excess moisture from the sauerkraut as you can. Divide the sauerkraut among the sandwiches, and top each with one tablespoon of Russian dressing. Add another layer of corned beef and a second slice of Swiss cheese to each sandwich. Top with the remaining bread slices; butter the side facing out.
  3. Heat a medium or large saute pan over medium heat. Cook the sandwiches on one side until the bread is golden brown. Use a spatula to carefully flip the sandwiches over and finish cooking on the second side. Cut the sandwiches in half before serving.

14 comments for “Deli @ Home: Reuben

February 17, 2012 at 3:36 pm

jessica, i love sandwiches too! i remember getting the turkey reuben sandwiches all the time from my favorite deli in ann arbor called Amers. they would have homemade bread with turkey, coleslaw, cheese, and russian dressing. it was melt in your mouth oh so good!

2. Cheap Ethnic Eatz
    February 17, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Oh that looks so good, like the cheese in there. In my city we have smoke meat sandwiches and it is served with tons of mustard, no cheese. This would be a cool twits.

3. Laz
    February 18, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Fantastic. Love the meats. The Russian dressing. My kind of Sammy.

February 20, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I love the new look — very streamlined and easy on the eyes! And I love reubens too…you’re right, it is so much more than a sandwich!

5. Nami | Just One Cookbook
    February 20, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Congrats on moving to your own domain! I edited my blogroll with your new link. 😉 I like your new site – it looks very sophisticated. Your Reuben sandwich looks amazing!

6. Magic of Spice
    February 21, 2012 at 2:55 pm

My guys would go crazy for this sandwich!
    Your site looks fantastic 🙂

7. Stephanie @ okie dokie artichokie
    February 22, 2012 at 4:52 am

Reubens are pretty tasty. We have a good sandwich deli by our place that makes the biggest reuben and pastrami sandwiches. Tall, messy and good. Also, grats on your new design. It looks great!:-)

8. angela@spinachtiger
    February 25, 2012 at 7:30 am

I love reubens and the whole shebang of flavors here.

9. 5 Star Foodie
    February 25, 2012 at 8:51 am

I absolutely love a good Reuben, nice! Your new site looks terrific!

March 4, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Jess! I’m loving the new site; very clean and nicely laid out.

I know Jas loves a good reuben as much as I do. This looks PERFECT.

11. Hayley
    March 12, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Just to let you know that this facebook page has stolen your image and is using it to promote their restaurant! https://www.facebook.com/theoriginalsmokeshack

• admin
      April 1, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Thank you, Hayley, for letting me know!

12. Adam D
    April 1, 2014 at 10:16 am

Hi,

I thought you might like to know there’s a company passing off your photo as their own on Facebook. I can’t report them as Facebook only accepts reports from the copyright owners, but the image is at https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=718065841571329&set=a.695183897192857.1073741828.693700620674518&type=1&theater

This company has posted a lot of pictures they’ve found on the internet, without credit to the owner, so I’d recommend reporting them to Facebook for copyright violation.

• admin
      April 1, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Thank you for letting me know!