5 Star Makeover: Wasabi Timbales

Our 5 Star Makeover theme this month is ‘junk food’, or featuring ‘junk food’ in a dish. A junk food that stirred up memories for me was Wasabi Green Peas. Have you ever had them? Usually the first thing that crosses anyone’s mind is, “why on earth would you want to snack on wasabi?” Fair point. I don’t know why either. It’s just a favorite and they still sell them in premium or Asian grocery stores. Maybe it’s the addicting spice, salt, or the crunch of them.

Wasabi Timbales

I decided to use them as a part of these turkey timbales to add a touch of spice, along with other seasonings. I also thought that a thick hoisin glaze would go well with the strong flavor of these wasabi peas. And they did!

Wasabi Timbales

• 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
  • Juice from 1 naval orange
  • 1 tsp of roasted sesami oil
  • 1lb ground turkey
  • 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp wasabi green peas, processed to powder in a food processor.
  • a dash of black pepper
  • 3 tbsp of soy sauce
  • Few wasabi green peas to serve

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Oil a 12-cup mini cupcake tin. In a small bowl, mix hoisin sauce, orange juice, and sesame oil.
  2. In a separate large bowl, combine ground turkey, garlic, onion powder, ginger, wasabi powder, black pepper, and soy sauce. Mix well.
  3. Separate mixture into 12 equal portions. Press each portion into 1 cupcake mold. Brush the turkey cups with some of the hoisin sauce mixture.
  4. Place the turkey cups into the oven and cook for 10 minutes or until it’s cooked.
  5. Remove from oven and serve with hoisin sauce and more wasabi green peas.

Thanks to Natasha from 5 Star Foodie and Laz from Lazaro Cooks! for hosting this month’s cooking!

8 comments for “5 Star Makeover: Wasabi Timbales

1. angela@spinachtiger
    March 29, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I snack on those too. I can see how they would bring some flavor to your meatballs. I like to put them in my egg salad or deviled eggs.

March 30, 2012 at 6:18 am

I love how you paired the wasabi peas with hoisin — sounds like a fantastic pairing! Love the flavor of orange in there too!

3. Laz
    March 30, 2012 at 7:37 am

The hoisin is an awesome choice. One of my favorite sauces. Love the wasabi notes with the cirtus to really fire up the turkey. Fine job. I’d gladly dig in.

4. Joan Nova
    March 30, 2012 at 10:29 am

I love them too but usually just snack on them … with a glass of wine! Great idea to incorporate them into a dish either as a seasoning by pulverizing them as you did or just cracked for some crunch. I’m definitely going to try it.

5. Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen
    April 1, 2012 at 7:40 am

Wasabi peas are one of my favorite snacks too and never ever thought to pair them with turkey timbales! But now that you’ve done it, it just seems that they belong together all along. And oh, that hoisin just makes it all look even more delicious!

6. Magic of Spice
    April 1, 2012 at 11:37 am

I love those little wasabi peas 🙂 Fun approach to the challenge and the crunchiness adds a great level of texture! Nice!

7. Debi Shawcross
    April 1, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I love wasabi peas too, and know they must have added a nice kick to your timbales!

8. Tanantha
    April 3, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Oh i love those peas! They are addicting. I somehow this they are healthier than other processed snacks and that makes me feel better eating them :). That’s a great idea to use them as a wasabi powder and add in the meatballs mixture!