Our 5 Star Makeover theme this month is ‘junk food’, or featuring ‘junk food’ in a dish. A junk food that stirred up memories for me was Wasabi Green Peas. Have you ever had them? Usually the first thing that crosses anyone’s mind is, “why on earth would you want to snack on wasabi?” Fair point. I don’t know why either. It’s just a favorite and they still sell them in premium or Asian grocery stores. Maybe it’s the addicting spice, salt, or the crunch of them.
I decided to use them as a part of these turkey timbales to add a touch of spice, along with other seasonings. I also thought that a thick hoisin glaze would go well with the strong flavor of these wasabi peas. And they did!
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- Juice from 1 naval orange
- 1 tsp of roasted sesami oil
- 1lb ground turkey
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp wasabi green peas, processed to powder in a food processor.
- a dash of black pepper
- 3 tbsp of soy sauce
- Few wasabi green peas to serve
- Preheat oven to 375F. Oil a 12-cup mini cupcake tin. In a small bowl, mix hoisin sauce, orange juice, and sesame oil.
- In a separate large bowl, combine ground turkey, garlic, onion powder, ginger, wasabi powder, black pepper, and soy sauce. Mix well.
- Separate mixture into 12 equal portions. Press each portion into 1 cupcake mold. Brush the turkey cups with some of the hoisin sauce mixture.
- Place the turkey cups into the oven and cook for 10 minutes or until it’s cooked.
- Remove from oven and serve with hoisin sauce and more wasabi green peas.
Thanks to Natasha from 5 Star Foodie and Laz from Lazaro Cooks! for hosting this month’s cooking!