Happy 4th everyone! It feels quite odd to have a random Wednesday off, but I think I enjoy the midweek break. I am going to introduce you to a delicious tuna ricotta red sauce pasta – an easy dinner idea for two or a nice side dish for a crowd.
Tuna Ricotta Shells
Adapted from Simply Recipes
- 4 tbsp of butter
- 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt
- 1lb medium pasta shells
- 6oz can tuna packed in olive oil
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat and add the can of tomatoes. Simmer gently over low heat, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
- Halfway through cooking the sauce, boil water in a large pot and add about 1-2 tbsp of kosher salt into boiling water. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions until 1 minute before it is al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Drain tuna and add tuna and ricotta cheese to the tomato sauce. Mix well and add pasta. Gently incorporate and add basil. Stir gently again.
- Transfer pasta to a casserole dish and top with grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese. Broil (under broiler) for 4 minutes.