Fresh. Fresh. Fresh.
Use the freshest quality ingredients you can find and this grilled cheese with apple salad will take you to a very happy place. Gruyère is one of the most versatile and amazing cheeses (try the Cave-Aged Gruyère if you haven’t yet). If “house cheese” existed, Gruyère would probably be ours. From quiche and fondue to salads and croque-monsieurs, Gruyère can be enjoyed in so many ways. It’s creamy, gooey, nutty, earthy…
Anyway, I’m pretty sure I had a point to all this. Doesn’t matter now. Just try it!
Gruyère Grilled Cheese with Apple Salad
Adapted From Bon Appetit
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 3/4 cup 1/4-inch-thick sliced shallots (about 3-4 shallots)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices of country-style bread or ciabatta
- 8 ounces Gruyère, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 fuji apple, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°. Heat 2 Tbsp. butter in a small saucepan over high heat. When butter begins to foam, add shallots and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon or spatula, until shallots begin to soften and caramelize, 4–5 minutes; remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Working in 2 batches, add 1 Tbsp. butter and swirl in pan to melt butter and coat bottom of pan. Add 4 slices of bread to pan and cook until golden brown and crisp on the bottom, 2–3 minutes. Transfer bread, toasted side down, to a rimmed baking sheet. Divide cheese evenly among bread slices; top cheese with reserved shallots.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake until cheese is melted, 7–8 minutes.
- Combine arugula, apple slices, lemon juice, and oil in a large bowl; toss to coat and evenly distribute. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper.
- Press 2 pieces of bread together, melted cheese sides in; halve sandwich on a diagonal and place on a plate. Repeat with remaining bread slices. Divide salad between plates.
Check out other back-to-school meals & treats @ Food Network:
Made by Michelle: Almond Butter and Banana Sandwiches
Chez Us: Healthy Tuna Salad
And Love It Too: Healthy Lunchbox 2012: The Ultimate Collection
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Back to School Roasted Chicken Legs
Bacon and Souffle: Gruyere Grilled Cheese With Apple Salad
Zaika Zabardast: Fresh Corn Cakes With Black Bean Salad Tossed in Cumin Vinaigrette
This Girl Can Eat: Cashew-Curry Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Spicy-Korean “Ramen” Noodle Soup
Haute Apple Pie: Edamame Hummus
Feed Me Phoebe: Deviled Egg Salad Sandwiches
Creative Culinary: Margarita Watermelon
Big Girls Small Kitchen: Swiss Chard Turnovers With Parmesan and Pistachios