Let’s just safely say that you are exhausted from cooking, preparing, chopping, baking, serving… from the holidays (I know, New Year’s hasn’t even come yet). On top of all that, let’s also assume that you feel like you “ate way too much” (the only line that I say more than ‘I’m hungry’). What to do? You take about 5 minutes and make this fresh recipe that can’t go wrong. Enjoy!
Mexican Shrimp Salad
- 1lb shelled and deveined large shrimp
- 2 romaine hearts, chopped or shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 ripe hass avocado, diced
- 1 cup of tortilla chips
- 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
- 2 tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp grated lime zest
- salt (about 2-3 shakes) and pepper to taste
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to boil. While waiting for boiling, start washing and chopping vegetables. Fill a bowl with ice water. Blanch the shrimp until white throughout, about 3 minutes. Drain and chill shrimp in ice water. Then drain again and pat dry. Transfer shrimp to a large mixing bowl.
- Add romaine, cilantro and avocado.
- In a small bowl, whisk sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, lime zest, salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad in large bowl. Mix gently with tongs. Add tortilla chips on top when serving.