Making simple dishes require care and quality ingredients. The more attention you give the dish, the better it will taste! Here is to crisped and spongy French Toasts: thick slices of bread, soaked in eggs and milk, toasted in a frying pan, then served hot with melted butter and maple syrup. This recipe adds some extra spice with orange zest and kahlua.
- 4 thick slices of bread, cut from an Italian loaf of bread (make sure it’s a few days old when it’s slightly stale)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of orange zest
- 1 tbsp of kahlua
- a dash of sea salt
- 1/4 cup of grapeseed oil, or more if needed
- butter (for serving)
- maple syrup (for serving)
- In a shallow dish, beat together eggs, milk, cinnamon, orange zest, salt, kahlua.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a frying pan. Make sure the oil coats the entire pan well, to avoid sticking.
- Dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture for 10 seconds, pressing down on the bread to let it soak up the mixture.
- Add egg battered bread slices into the frying pan when the oil is hot, one at a time, and as many as it will fit.
- Fry until it is browned, then flip onto the other side. When the other side is browned as well, remove and serve hot with butter and maple syrup.