Charred juicy Italian sausage slices in a bowl of wholesome white bean spinach stew, served with multigrain bread. The perfect kind of hassle-free one-skillet weeknight dinner!
Sausage White Bean Stew
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1lb Italian uncooked spicy or mild sausage
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 15-oz can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 5 oz baby spinach, washed
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bread slices
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked, about 18 minutes. Transfer sausage to plate.
- Add onion, garlic and thyme to skillet. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans and broth and cook for 10 minutes, crushing some beans lightly with the back of a spoon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add spinach by the handful into the skillet. Stir and cook until spinach is just wilted, about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Slice sausages and add them into the skillet. Divide stew among bowls and serve with bread.