I was wondering what I should make to celebrate the start of St. Paddy’s weekend without making corned beef just yet (saving it for Sunday of course). Then I realized Shepherd’s Pie would be an excellent choice! I love all-in-one dishes. Easy and comforting for a relaxing Saturday.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground bison or beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 ears of corn, rinsed and corn separated and placed in a bowl
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs potatoes (3 big ones), peeled and cut into large cubes
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Boil potato cubes in salted boiling water until tender (about 20-30 minutes). Test tenderness by using a fork to see if it falls apart.
- While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 a stick) in large frying pan.
- Sauté onions and carrots in butter until tender over medium heat (10 mins).
- Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink. Add corn. Add salt and pepper. Add worcesterchire sauce. Add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degress with rack in upper half (make sure the casserole height you use will fit).
- Mash potatoes in bowl with remainder of butter, season to taste.
- Place beef and onions in baking dish. Distribute mashed potatoes on top. Rough up with a fork so that there are peaks that will brown nicely. You can use the fork to make some designs in the potatoes as well.
- Cook in 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown, 25 minutes. Broil for 5 more minutes until mashed potatoes are nicely browned.