If you haven’t tried baked spaghetti, you must! It’s like lasagna but with thin spaghetti noodles. The noodles add a layer of texture, making it easier to eat. This recipe has mushrooms, Italian sausage, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, and onions, and marinara sauce. It is just so, so good!
From Simply Recipes
- 3/4 lb thin spaghetti
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 lb bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1/4 pound cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 24 ounces of marinara (San Marzano preferred)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp olive oil plus more for greasing the casserole dish
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Boil a large pot of water on the stove over high heat. Add salt to the water. While the pasta water is heating, continue with the next steps. Cook pasta to al dente, about 6 minutes or so. Check package instructions. Note that the pasta will continue to cook and absorb some of the sauce when it is in the casserole dish in the oven, so the pasta should be al dente.
- Break up the sausage into clumps into a large sauté pan. Cook the sausage over medium heat, breaking it up into smaller pieces with the a wooden spoon. Cook until the sausage is cooked through, no longer pink anywhere, and lightly browned. Remove the sausage from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add chopped onions and mushrooms to the pan. Increase the heat to medium high. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions become translucent and the mushrooms have given up some of their liquid. Add the minced garlic and red chili pepper flakes, and cook a minute more.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add marinara sauce and the 1 1/2 cups of water to the pan with the onions and mushrooms. Add the sausage back to the pan. Add the Italian seasoning and chopped parsley. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook for 15 minutes while you make the pasta.
- When pasta is done, drain the pasta and rinse in cold water.
- Place the cooled pasta in a large bowl. Toss (you can use your hands) with olive oil, then the Parmesan, then 2 beaten eggs.
- Rub the inside of a 13x9 inch casserole dish (I used a slightly smaller but taller casserole dish) with olive oil. Spread 1 cup of the sauce over the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Place half of the pasta in an even layer in the casserole dish. Cover with half of the sauce. Then dot the sauce with all of the ricotta cheese. Sprinkle half of the Mozzarella over the ricotta layer. Layer again with the remaining pasta, the remaining sauce, and the remaining Mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 min at 350°F. Remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes uncovered. Remove from oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
Copyright 2013 Bacon and Souffle. All Rights Reserved.