Happy Halloween Chipotle Chile Ribs
It’s almost Halloween! Is it time for some pork ribs?
These ribs are not your typical BBQ ribs. Coated in spices and braised tender in the oven, they are amazing. Next time, I am going to try the same seasoning with spare ribs to make country-style ribs. I’ll be sure to share that one too if it turns out well!
- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. ground chipotle chile
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups canned whole, peeled tomatoes, pureed in blender
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup whole-grain mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 baby back ribs
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- Heat oven to 300F.
- Heat bacon in a pot or dutch oven over medium heat until fat renders, about 6 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add onions, garlic, chipotle chile powder. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire, mustard, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Season ribs with salt and pepper and add to pan. Pan fry ribs for about 4 minutes per side. Pour sauce over the ribs into skillet. Cover and bake in oven for 1.5 hours until fork tender.
Copyright 2013 Bacon and Souffle. All Rights Reserved.