Pastrami and Pear Shells with a Sage Brown Butter Sauce
I hope everyone’s Thanksgiving was just as filling and wonderful as mine. It was a nice Thanksgiving this year; family time with the in-laws, lots of good food, walks, and laughs.
With all the creative turkey leftovers recipes out there, you probably have more than enough recipes or, like me, have no more turkey left. I think a quick pasta will make a great dinner for post-Thanksgiving weeknights. This is a winter pasta with an unlikely combination of flavors that works perfectly together. The shells, pastrami, sweet Italian sausage, and pear are sautéed in a sage brown butter sauce with some lemon zest, parsley, garlic, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Pastrami and Pear Shells, Sage Brown Butter Sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 sweet sausage
- 4 ounces black pepper pastrami slices, cut into strips
- 1 bosc pear, peeled and sliced
- 3 fresh sage leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound medium shells
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved, and more for topping
- A dash of ground cinnamon
- A dash of ground nutmeg
- Minced fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil a large pot of water over high heat. Salt water generously when it almost comes to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente.
- Squeeze the sausage out of its casing into crumbles and add to the pan with bacon. Cook until browned.
- Add pear, beef, garlic, and sage. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 3 minutes until pears soften slightly.
- When pasta is done, use a strainer to scoop pasta out of the pot and into the pan. By doing this, the intention is to get the pasta along with some pasta water. Or you can reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water and drain pasta, then add pasta and pasta water to the pan.
- Add zest, cheese, cinnamon, nutmeg, and parsley to the pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve pasta topped with additional cheese if desired.
Copyright 2013 Bacon and Souffle. All Rights Reserved.