Steak, Potatoes, and Roasted Tomatoes
Say hello to a different steak and potatoes dinner! Cast iron steak with truffle hasselback potatoes (because I couldn’t resist the jar of truffle butter at the market) and thyme roasted tomatoes on the vine (because the tomatoes just looked so plump and juicy). If you’ve done your fitness routine for the day and feel up for a very decadent dish, melt some more truffle butter and drizzle over the potatoes and steak during serving. This recipe is easy if you have a good hour and a half to spend as the roasting takes awhile, but the preparation is minimal.
Steak, Potatoes and Roasted Tomatoes
- 4 tomatoes on a vine, removed from vine and sliced in half
- 4 medium white potatoes, scrubbed
- 3 tbsp. of truffle butter, softened (can use regular butter too)
- 1/4 cup panko
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 1.5 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp. of olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 medium white potatoes
- 1-2 1 1/2 inch thick sirloin steak, totaling about 1.5lbs
- Preheat a small oven to 325F. Place each tomato half on a small baking sheet with cut side facing up. Drizzle balsamic vinegar and 1 tbsp. of olive oil over them. Sprinkle thyme, salt and pepper all over. Roast tomatoes in the 325F oven for one hour.
- Preheat a larger oven to 450F. To make hasselback potatoes, place one potato between 2 chopsticks (the top thicker ends). Using a sharp chef's knife, slice potato into thin slices, leaving the bottom 1/4" intact and uncut. The chopsticks should prevent the knife from slicing it all the way through.
- In a small bowl, mix butter and 2 tbsp. of oil together. Brush butter oil mixture all over the potatoes. Sprinkle a generous amount of salt and pepper over the potatoes. Taking the 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, try to put the cheese between the potato slices. Bake potatoes for 50 minutes then sprinkle panko and 2 tbsp. of parmesan over the top of the potatoes and bake for another 10 minutes.
- To make the steak, follow instructions here.
- Serve sliced steak with roasted tomatoes and hasselback potatoes.
Copyright 2013 Bacon and Souffle. All Rights Reserved.