A nice and simple pot roast is so great for any meal. I love making it on the weekends. Sometimes in the summer months, a rich pot roast braised in a big red wine and beef stock can feel a bit heavy. This version of the classic pot roast is just as delicious but braised in chicken broth and a dry and refreshing white wine like Sauvignon Blanc.
Serve the pot roast family-style in a large platter or in individual bowls over rice. We had the leftovers as sandwiches in soft French rolls. The possibilities are endless!
- 2 lbs beef chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 large celery stalk, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 275F with rack on the lowest level.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat until almost smoking. Pat beef chuck roast dry, season all sides well with salt and pepper, and sear for about 5 minutes on each side. Set roast aside on a large plate.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add carrots, celery, and onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic, parsley, and oregano and cook for 1 minute.
- Add one cup of wine and cook until it is reduced to about 1/3 of its original liquid. While cooking, use a spatula to stir and scrape up any vegetable bits that are stuck to the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Add roast into the pot and turn it around a few times to coat with the wine braised vegetables.
- Add crushed tomatoes, bay leaf and chicken broth to the Dutch oven. Cover and cook in oven for 3 to 4 hours.
- When ready, serve pot roast in a large shallow platter with sauces poured over it, family style. Or shred pot roast and serve along with its juices over rice or mashed potatoes.
Copyright 2013 Bacon and Souffle. All Rights Reserved.